Friday, August 29, 2008

Day Two

The plan for this day was to go to 'Fisherman's Wharf', a much mentioned tourist destination. It was the perfect chance to catch the cable car. En route to the cable car turnaround, I noticed a gallery and stopped there. Initially I felt uneasy because of the large number of staff pacing around staring you down, and the comparatively small number of visitors. It turns out that this gallery is very rich, displaying paintings by the likes of Picasso and Renoir (to drop the two names that I had heard before entering). The staff are friendly though, and one described to me the artist whos every single piece I like (John D. Anderson : check it out and my other photos here (they are trickling in)).

Anyway, back to my mission, avoided the painfully long line for tickets by walking 40m to the information office, but was distracted again. I walked into what looked like a small mall but had like 9 floors (at least) and docked heaps of well-known stores (none that I can remember, apart from Abercrombie & Fitch: which I walked into to see what the jig was).

The cable car turnaround is manually operated: the car goes on a turn table and you push it. Fun times. Indeed, because holding on to the outside of the cable car is kinda fun. I stopped at Lombard St, the crookedest street in the world:



Finally to Fisherman's wharf... two piers and a whole lotta restaurants (bring money). It was ~3pm by this time and I was starving, so had lunch/dinner at a swish seafood restaurant. I walked around for ages, there are also many stores (bring money), lots of cool stuff but nothing cool enough. There is a random sea lion colony that hangs out at the pier as well.

The one thing I did decide to go into was the Ripley's: Believe it or not! museum. Some stuff made my smile, other stuff made me cringe, but overall it was pretty avg. A cable car ride back to the hotel was followed by several hours of sifting through photos and blog writing, so I hope someone is reading this (Antony seems to be (that's right he gets a mention for commenting)).

Travelling alone is ok, you don't have to plan anything and you can walk/run as slow/fast as you want; on the other hand having a buddy would be nice. I've been trying to find something to do in the evenings, but the oneness and the 21 drinking age makes it... fail.

1 comment:

Agent24 said...

Hey that street is in GTA:SA...